Sunday, April 8, 2012


For Anglophiles
And What Gardener Isn't?

Queen Elizabeth in the Garden.  No, not our endearing
contemporary Queen Elizabeth, but the grand Elizabeth I.
As much about gossip and grand gestures as it is about
gardening…this tale of the competition between Earl of Leicester
and Baron Burghley recreates the gardening sizzle of the time…



PAEONIA rockii LOVERS TAKE NOTE:
ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO SPLURGED
ON THE CHINESE ONES LAST SPRING


Thankfully and happily, I can report  seeing signs of life in
2 of the 4 Chinese peonies that I planted in the great rush of
Chinese peony enthusiasm last spring .
Admittedly, the signs of life are still slight,


but they are unmistakeable.
and this is just the beginning…
tree peonies are meant to outlive us, so of course, 
they take their time getting started.
Look at my precious tree peonies that have been dug up and 
replanted more than once
(a thing “they” say never to do, disturb their roots)
  Thriving, my dear…simply thriving
And don’t forget – it is only March…


And another thing to look for:  the new growth might not occur on the obvious crevices of the branches, but at the base coming up from the roots… I just spotted this sign of life.


Have Faith in your Tree Peonies.


ROPED IN WITH WORDS

Oh isn’t it often the way.  Well, I am crazy for Sanguinaria…
or
'bloodroot' as it's known for its maroon gelatinous sap…

 I’m hooked on its caressing celadon leaves and
its charming sort-of shy behavior.   Well, anyway, I have several 
beloved clumps and was lured into buying these--
--because of the beguiling description as a Rare Pink-Form.
Now I am not usually smitten by pink flowers of any kind but the
idea of a pink Sanguinaria somehow got to me and I spent $40.
Yes, forty.  And as you can see, they are not pink at all
.


Well, actually there is a pink blush and it even gets a bit pinker when the demure petals close and it goes to sleep in the afternoon,
but I would have spent my $40
elsewhere had I known  it was this subtle...…

Excerpeted from Volume 34 of DIRTIER, Dianne B's 
newsletter for the Savvy Gardener. 
You can read the entire newsletter HERE!





No comments: